Friday, March 19, 2004

Wow, so it has been a while since we last posted. This has been a busy week, in our defense. Yesterday, I went to the lab to get a one hour glucose tolerance test done. It's a routine test they do at this time to check for gestational diabetes. I'm not too worried, since I don't seem to have any of the symptoms, but I guess we'll know soon enough what the results are. Overall, the experience was very frustrating. They give you this glucose solution to drink (I had heard ABSOLUTE horror stories about the stuff being awful, but on Liz's advice, I requested lemon lime and it wasn't that bad. A little sweeter than 7UP, but not syrupy like I had expected.) and then you go sit for an hour and they draw your blood at the end of your wait to see how your body is handling the glucose. Oh, I forgot to mention that the midwife told me not to eat anything after midnight the day I went in for the test. So, I go in, kind of hungry and drink the stuff and go sit in the waiting area. They phlebotomist tells me to be back at 11:30 and they'll call me in for the blood draw, so I am impatiently watching the clock, waiting for my blood draw. Well, 11:30 comes around, but silly me, I have faith that they have not forgotten me and they are probably just busy. I try to be patient but decide I will politely inquire at the reception desk about my blood draw. The receptionist then asked me, "well, where were you at 11:30?" (it is now 11:45). And I said I have been sitting there the whole time. She hurriedly gets someone to draw my blood, and that lady again asks me where I was at 11:30. I am super frustrated because I was there THE WHOLE TIME! I asked her if the results would still be accurate since the blood was actually drawn 1 hour and 20 minutes after drinking the solution. She says she thinks so, but she'll make a note of it. Let me tell you, there is nothing like being pregnant for the first time and feeling like you are in such good hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home