Saturday, August 21, 2004

Parenthood
I think it is time for me to really start posting more here, and making my posts more substantive. We have been parents now for a little over two months. Honestly it hasn’t been as bad as I was expecting. You hear such horror stories about the sleep deprivation, the mental stupor, and the laundry. The laundry is as bad as they say, but I think that we are doing pretty well with the sleep and stupor because we were mentally well prepared for it, we have a strong open relationship, and we have a really good baby. The last few days he has been kind of fussy, and his eating pattern has been a little off, but I still think we have it a lot better than a lot of people. For instance—he has been really fussy this evening, and he eat will eat for a little bit and then get fussy, an then cry because he us still hungry… but we just kept taking turns holding and comforting him until we got him to pass out in his swing. Some people spend every night fighting with a baby they can’t console – so I try not to complain about things too much. There are days when we are really tired from his keeping us up, and I’ll get comments at work about how tired I look, but most people think it is somehow cute or funny so I just laugh it off with them, and use it as a reason to go home early when I need a nap.

It is hard to put the feeling of parenthood into words for me, so I will think about it a bit more and see if I can come up with some more coherent thoughts. So far I think things are going well, and like I said, I think we are handling things pretty well. We have a clean, well dressed, well fed baby, we remember to cook for ourselves most meals, and I usually remember to change my shirt before going back to work so I don’t look like a bird crapped on me. Eventually we will work out a good, steady routine -- and be able to keep up on all the less important things (like blogging, and keeping the living room clean) but for now those thing aren’t as important as sitting and playing with Colin trying to get him to give us a nice big smile

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home